Financial Wellbeing Service
The Financial Wellbeing Service operates in the Clarence Valley, Coffs Harbour, Bellingen, Nambucca, Kempsey, Port Macquarie, Taree and Great Lakes areas of NSW.
The service assists people in financial crisis to manage their immediate situation in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity whilst improving their financial capability.
Who We Assist
This confidential and free service is available to people who may be in financial hardship and unable, or at risk of being unable, to pay their bills and meet their current financial commitments.
Individuals and families who are in financial crisis and residing in one of the above locations are eligible for this service.
How Do We Help
The service may assist with:
- short-term aid to meet financial obligations (usually provision of a voucher for essential groceries)
- budgeting and access to other financial tools
- linking to other appropriate services and supports
Operating Hours and Location
9:30 am to 12:30 pm on Tuesdays and Fridays at Mid Coast Communities, Shop 21, 20 Gordon St (Max Murray Mall), Coffs Harbour.
Making an Appointment
Phone Mid Coast Communities on (02) 6651 1788 (Mon to Fri – 9:00 am to 4:30 pm). The appointments are generally 30 minutes’ duration. People can attend appointments either:
- in person at Mid Coast Communities, or
- over the phone for people residing outside the Coffs Harbour area.
What If I Need To Cancel
If you cannot make your appointment please call (02) 6651 1788 to cancel.
What Documents Do I Need
A copy of the following documentation/evidence must be provided at the time of the appointment:
- Identification (photo ID or original utility bill showing current address)
- Income details (Centrelink statement/payslips/other income sources)
- Bank statements for all bank accounts held (including joint accounts)
Please either bring them to the appointment (if attending in person) or email them to the email@example.com if the appointment is by phone.
What Happens At The Appointment
During the appointment the Financial Wellbeing Coordinator will:
- sight the required documentation
- ask questions about your income and expenses and use an online budgeting tool to identify your current financial situation
- work with you to explore what assistance best suits your immediate as well as your longer-term financial needs. This could include the issuing of a voucher.
- ask some wellbeing questions to see if they can assist by linking you to other supports and services
- ask you some questions about our service so that we can make sure we are meeting your needs, and identify any areas that we can improve on.
How Do I Collect My Voucher if Approved
A voucher will be provided at the time of your appointment if you attend in person. If your appointment is over the phone, you can collect your voucher from one of our office locations. This information will be provided to you during your appointment.
Coffs Harbour: (02) 5632 4020| Groundworks Youth Centre, 22 Earl St, Coffs Harbour
Nambucca: (02) 6516 1940 | Shop 5B Nambucca Plaza, Pacific Highway, Nambucca Heads
Kempsey: (02) 6516 1925 | Suite 7 Harrington Building, 41 Belgrave Street, Kempsey
Port Macquarie: (02) 6516 1920 | Suite 5, 53 Lord Street, Port Macquarie
Grafton: Collection from Coffs Harbour office.
Other Supports and Resources
There are a range of tools, supports and services that people can access including:
Energy Accounts Payment Assistance Scheme (EAPA)
Support with: managing payments for energy bills
Contact: Energy Saver
National Debt Helpline
Support with: free financial counselling
Contact: 1800 007 007* or visit NDH
ASIC’s Money Smart Financial Guidance
Support with: online budgeting tool, financial counselling and more
Contact: Money Smart
No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS)
Support with: access to safe, fair and affordable credit
Support With: Problem Gambling
Services NSW | Cost of Living
Support With: Helping you find NSW Government rebates and savings that are relevant to you
Contact: Services NSW (Cost of Living)
Visit or contact your local Neighbourhood or Community Centre
Support with: programs, information, advice and referral to a range of services and supports
Other Emergency Relief Services
Provide immediate financial and/or material support to people in financial crisis.
Contact: DSS Emergency Relief
“We gratefully acknowledge the Australian Government’s support of the Financial Wellbeing Service”